Friday, February 27, 2015

[R] Vivian Apple at the End of the World, by: Katie Coyle

Vivian Apple at the End of the World
(Vivian Apple #1)
by: Katie Coyle

★★★☆☆

Seventeen-year-old Vivian Apple never believed in the evangelical Church of America, unlike her recently devout parents. But when Vivian returns home the night after the supposed "Rapture," all that's left of her parents are two holes in the roof. Suddenly, she doesn't know who or what to believe. With her best friend Harp and a mysterious ally, Peter, Vivian embarks on a desperate cross-country roadtrip through a paranoid and panic-stricken America to find answers. Because at the end of the world, Vivan Apple isn't looking for a savior. She's looking for the truth.
my thoughts
"I say to myself, Dear God, and then I scratch that, for obvious reasons. Dear Universe, I say. Make me less meek, make me less afraid. Dear Universe, make me the hero of my own story."
Uhm... how good was this book? Just plain good, nothing more. I read it really fast not because I was very interested in what was happening, but more because I wanted to end and ejoy other books, plus there is the fact that its kind of short. I didn't mind the plot or its twist (they were the highlights of the book), I mind Vivian... she is kind of a bitch. But its just my opinion, let me start from the beginning...
"And Frick said, 'Follow me, and be taken into heaven.'And the people of America began to listen."
The end is here, the Rapture happened and it just six months life as you knew it will be gone. That's basically how this book is. It follows Vivian Apple's life and the people that are around her. That includes her best friend almost sister, Harp and some blue eyed handsome dude called Peter. Along the way, they meet people, but keep going their trip in finding the real truth. What really happened March 24? Almost all believers dissapeared and among them, Vivian's parents, Harp's parents and Peter's father. They heard rummors about California, so without been certain of anything, they went. Will they find the truth?
"How is that posible?" I ask. "How can you believe all that stuff?"Wambaugh looks at me, her gaze softening. "We could sit here and have an in-dept discussion about why I believe the things I believe in, about the kind of comfort and guidance I've taken from my faith throughout my life, but it wouldn't matter to you one iota, Viv, because you don't believe. And that's okay! It's not up to me to tell you what you should believe in. That's the thing you've got to figure out for yourself. But let me tell you this: you can't go through life distinguishing the Believers from the Non-Believers and divvying up your love and trust accordingly. It's more complicated that that, Viv, and you know it. Don't be the kind of person who sees groups instead of people. That's the sort of thing Beaton Frick does."
I, certainly, will not talk about believes, but its a topic that its hard not to talk to if you read this book. The real in-dept meaning, according to me, of this book is that we aren't at all atheists. WE do believe in someone or something, even ourselves. The most important thing that Vivian had to learn was in who believe and she finally did, in herself and her friends (Harp and Peter). Yes, there still mysteries about the Church of America to be solved but I know they will find a solution in the next book. Plus I need Peter back with Vivian. What I didn't really like excluding Vivian, was all the characters that disappeared and that I really liked or wanted to know more. Another thing is that the book is really so slow that I don't really know how I finish it. Eventhough all of that, I want to read the next book. Maybe not now, but in the future, I do.
"One minute we're here and the next minute we're leaving.  It's that simple."
I'm still contempling if I would recommend this book. I shouldn't, but I would only with the condition that its a short slow read that if may be kind of funny thanks to Harp character. Nothing more.
"You think I'm going to chill here with my history teacher while my protégée is out there fighting the good fight, having the adventure? Nice try, Viv." Harp yawns. "But you're stuck with me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!