Tuesday, February 10, 2015

[R] Ruby Red, by: Kersten Gier

Ruby Red
(The Ruby Red Trilogy #1)
by: Kersten Gier

★★★★½

Sixteen-year-old Gwen lives with her extended - and rather eccentric - family in an exclusive London neighborhood. In spite of her ancestors' peculiar history, she's had a relatively normal life so far. The time-traveling gene that runs like a secret thread through the female half of the family is supposed to have skipped over Gwen, so she hasn't been introduced to "the mysteries," and can spend her time hanging out with her best friend, Lesly. It comes as an unwelcome surprise when she starts taking sudden, uncontrolled leaps into the past.

She's totally unprepared for time travel, not to mention all that comes with it: fancy clothes, archaic manners, a mysterious secret society, and Gideon, her time-traveling counterpart. He's obnoxious, a know-it-all, and possibly the best-looking guy she's seen in any centrury . . . .


my thoughts
“If we were in a film, the villain would turn out to be the least-expected person. But as we aren’t in a film, I’d go for the character who tried to strangle you.”
As everyone is expecting, this book turned out really good. But I didn't like it that much to be my favorite or the five stars. I had some issues with it, which I will let you know soon. But overall, it was a really good book. It left me wanting more and what I'm going to do its read the next one, yes!
“What do you mean, a ghost? The Honorable James Augustus Peregrine Pympoole-Bothame, heir to the fourteenth Earl of Hardsdale, is taking no insults from young girls!”
The book begins with a prologue I didn't understand, did not like that. But kept reading because it intrigue me. It continues with the story of Gwyneth, aka Gwen for me. I don't really know how to pronounce the name so I say Gwen. Her story was very simple until the unexpected happened. The gift that it was supposed to be of her cousin, she has it and everyone is crazy about it. She can time travel and more than that, she is very very special, or so some people has said it. From the beginning we discover that she can talk with ghosts and then we figure out that she can time travel too. Now, that's not the problem, the real problem is more complicated than that. I really don't understand the whole plot twist every once in a while, because most of the book I was FREAKING LOST.
“You'd think that would have been forgotten long ago. But no, no sooner has a little grass grown over it than some clumsy camel comes along and rakes it all up again."Caroline giggled. She was probably imagining Aunt Glenda as a camel."This is not a TV series, Maddy," said Lady Arista sharply."Thank goodness, no, it isn't," said Great-aunt Maddy. "If it were, I'd have lost track of the plot ages ago.”
I know that basically this review doesn't say anything, but I really don't know much to tell you. Everything was a freaking mess for me, never understood anything until other random thing happen and let me understand the one before. Eveything was so fast and didn't let me enjoy the chracters as I would like. Even though the book is fast, it was long! How is that posible? The hell if I knew. Anyways, I would recommend it if you like fantasy and something quick to read, but not good to understand.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to know you liked it! I liked this one but the other two were just ok to me.

    ReplyDelete

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!