Tuesday, March 29, 2016

[R] Unwind, by: Neil Shusterman

Unwind
(Unwind Dystology #1)
by: Neal Shusterman

★★★½☆

In a society where unwanted teens are salvaged for their body parts, three runaways fight the system that would "unwind" them.

Connor's parents want to be rid of him because he's a troublemaker. Risa has no parents and is being unwound to cut orphanage costs. Lev's unwinding has been planned since his birth, as part of his family's strict religion. Brought together by chance, and kept together by desperation, these three unlikely companions make a harrowing cross-country journey, knowing their lives hang in the balance. If they can survive until their eighteenth birthday, they can't be harmed -- but when every piece of them, from their hands to their hearts, are wanted by a world gone mad, eighteen seems far, far away.
Woah. This is the second book I have read of Mr. Shusterman and I have to admit that he always leave me with the mouth hanging open. He has this kind of writing that wraps you up and doesn't want you to let go. Sadly, I did let go of it sometimes and for long periods of time because I was wrap up in other things.

I had this book on my TBR list awhile back, but I erased it when I thought I wasn't going to read it. Then Dystopia Reading Challenge happened and for its Book Club, appeared this option. I was intrigued, because finally I was going to read. And I don't regret it because I like it.
"Of course, if more people had been organ donors, unwinding never would have happened... but people like to keep what's theirs, even after they're dead. It didn't take long for ethics to be crushed by greed. Unwinding became big business, and people let it happen."
Unwind, the story not the description, is set on a dystopian future. After a war between, basically, Pro-Life and the right to decide... they called it the Heartland War. At the end, they got to a peace by coming up with the Unwinding, the verb. An Unwind, the description, is a kid that is destined to go to a Harvest Camp and donate ALL his or hers organs. Of course, these kids doesn't actually decide that they want to be donors. Their parents decide to Unwind, the verb, you. Pro-Life was happy, because no one gets kill, the bits and pieces of those kids are alive in other people that need it. The other part was happy too, because to Unwind, verb, a kid is to obtain money and if you need it, an organ. Everyone happy, right? But what about the kids? Who is thinking of them?

The story goes around the kids. The ones that were sent to Unwind, verb. But not all of them are actually going to die. These kids are fighters. These kids are going to survive, because they believe in themselves that they can. Because to be an Unwind, description, is not something humane. Can Connor, Risa and Lev survive? Only one way to find out, right?

The story hooked me up. The words hooked me up. BUT I wasn't that much interested in the whole story. It just something that doesn't appeal to me. Because, what if it happens in the future? I'm sure I'll never sign such a paper to sell my kid's organs. It breaks my heart that this can be a possibility.

I'm not sure I'll read the next books, I might not. But if you are a fan of dystopian and you really like books like this, give it a try. Its good. Just not to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!