Wednesday, March 30, 2016

[R] This Is Where It Ends, by: Marieke Nijkamp

This Is Where It Ends
by: Marieke Nijkamp

★★★★☆

10:00 a.m.
The principal of Opportunity, Alabama's high school finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve.

10:02 a.m.
The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next class.

10:03
The auditorium doors won't open.

10:05
Someone starts shooting.

Told over the span of 54 harrowing minutes from four different perspectives, terror reigns as one student's calculated revenge turns into the ultimate game of survival.

First of all, I have to tell you guys that this book had been on my Netgalley page for a long, long time. Somehow I never took the moment to read it until now. The #YASH (which is currently still one and you can know more of it here) opened my eyes and showed me that I had to read this book. I did.

Awhile back, I read a review about this book and I thought that I have never read a book of such thing. I went to Netgalley, requested it and they gave it to me. Now, that I read it, it opened my eyes to other things.

The book is about a shooting in a High School. Which is a theme very series and that almost everyone in USA can relate to. So many shootings have been happening in the last years that it's alarming. I remember the first time I saw the movie Bowling for Columbine. It opened my eyes the same way that this book did. I never thought that such things happened. Reading the words of these kids while it was happening, it broke my heart. I could feel their fear, sadness and desperation. I suffered everything he shoot someone or something. I could hear the bang.
Together, we'll get out. Together, we'll survive this. Together, we'll be strong enough to face whatever comes our way. This is where it ends.
This book has the kind of writing that no matter how many things are happening at the same time, the same minute... everything is just so slow. You could think that a book with a 54 minutes span of events would be fast. But every minute that past, everything was slower. I wanted to stop the torture, but it kept happening until it was over.
You can't always keep your loved ones with you. You can't always settle your life in one place. The world was made to change. But as long as you cherish the memories and make new ones along on the way, no matter where you are, you'll always be at home.
Everyone is left broken after something like this happens. And is worst when you know the shooter and you don't actually understand why he/she is doing it. It breaks my heart. I pray for all those kids and adults that have suffered such events. My heart goes with all of you. Remember that life must go on, that you, now, have a new opportunity to live how you wanted and to achieve whatever you want.

If you would like your eyes open, read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!