Monday, January 18, 2016

[R] Liars, Inc., by: Paula Stokes

Liars, Inc.
by: Paula Stokes

★★★★☆

Max Cantrell has never been a big fan of the truth, so when the opportunity arises to sell forged permission slips and cover stories to his classmates, it sounds like a good way to make a little money. So with the help of his friend Preston and his girlfriend, Parvati, Max starts Liars, Inc. Suddenly everybody needs something, and the cash starts pouring in. Who knew lying could be so lucrative?

When Preston wants his own cover story to go visit a girl he met online, Max doesn't think twice about it. But then Preston never comes home. And the evidence starts to pile up—terrifying clues that lead to Preston's body.

Terrifying clues that point to Max as the killer….

my thoughts

First murder mystery of the year. Check! Jezz... I didn't think I was going to take so long to read this book. It was really hard for me to get into it. Then, 93 pages in... Max threw me a hook and I was so hooked that I finish the book hours later.

The book stars in medias res so many things happens in just one chapter than when the next chapter jumps to the past, I got lost. I couldn't quite reach what was happening until I put my head into it. After ten chapters in, the book picks up and goes so fast that when you notices, it ended. Max is a good narrator, a little slow sometimes, but really good detailing things and making simple descriptions. I liked/hated the character of Parvati (I always changed her name in my mind to Pavarti). I loved the character of Darla, because it really represents what a mom should be. Amanda was super cute and I loved how much Max love her even though they weren't really siblings (just adoptive ones).

You know, the book have an excellent flow, now that I'm thinking about it. I still disliked that it had a slow and confusing beginning, but still totally good. Let's not talk about the epilogue because I always got isues with those. Overall, the book was worth it. I don't regret giving it a lot of chances to pick up, because at the end, it did and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!