Tuesday, July 9, 2013

[R] Uglies, by: Scott Westerfeld

Uglies
(Uglies #1)
by: Scott Westerfeld

4 of 5 stars

Tally Youngblood is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait for the operation that turns everyone from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to party. But new friend Shay would rather hoverboard to "the Smoke" and be free. Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world and it isn't very pretty. The "Special Circumstances" authority Dr Cable offers Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

my thoughts 
"In a world of extreme beauty, anyone normal is Ugly." 
How about that? Now, I'm ugly? But my mom says that I'm the girl most beautiful in the world... Yeah, that's my mom. She lies, but that's her job.
“Shay sometimes talked in a mysterious way, like she was quoting the lyrics of some band no one else listened to.”
This book was not how I picture it. It was even better. Yes, there were sometimes that I rather give up, because it was super slow. But no, I continued and finished. I did love it. Not the end (again with that, sam? yes, again with that).
“Tally smiled. At least she was causing trouble to the end. "I'm Tally Youngblood," she said. "make me pretty.”
The book was adventure and adventure and adventure. Dangerous things happen, but she always survives and save the day. More like "betray" the day. She was suppose to turn in all the people from the Smoke, but what happens? She falls in love. With who? David, the "creator" of the smoke. Lovely, right?
“What you do, the way you think, makes you beautiful.”
Come on, read it and tell me what you think!

1 comment:

  1. Yes i too had a wonderful experience reading it.
    I agree it was a bit slow at the start but as Tally reaches Smoke, the story really starts to make sense and gets even more interesting.
    Really an innovative concept in an all new dystopian world.

    ReplyDelete

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!