by: Patrick Ness
5 of 5 stars
"War," says the Mayor. "At last." Three armies march on New Prentisstown, each one intent on destroying the others. Todd and Viola are caught in the middle, with no chance of escape. As the battles commence, how can they hope to stop the fighting? How can there ever be peace when they're so hopelessly outnumbered? And if war makes monsters of men, what terrible choices await? But then a third voice breaks into the battle, one bent on revenge - the electrifying finale to the award-winning "Chaos Walking" trilogy, Monsters of Men is a heart-stopping novel about power, survival, and the devastating realities of war.
Well, I read this book between May 16 to May 22. Yeah, I did took my time with it. Some some reasons: I was having finals and I was in need to study; the book was extremly long; and I was reading slow because I didn't want to finish it. Now, the following review was copied and pasted from my GoodReads account. It have other things that there is not, but not too many change. *May have some little spoilers*
So, yes, I read this BEYOND PERFECT SERIES called Chaos Walking. I cannot bear all the emotions thats these books caused me. Cuz I really love the characters, the plot, the setting and overall, the LANGUAGE! I loved how they talked. The Noise is such an incredible thing. It can cause you some problems, though, but they are little and easy to resolve. I did enjoy reading this dyspotian books.
In this book we see three different POVs, which much for my surprise, were Todd, Viola and 1017 (the spackle). It were good POVs, some times I was so caught up with a chapter that when it finish I was hating it, because the next chapter wasn't talking about anything about the before one. Ugh. But, I did enjoy the three no matter what.
- Todd Hewitt: how can I describe him? The boy who can't kill, but no matter what he will kill for his Viola. He will make the world safe just for her. He have suffer a lot in his life. His ma and pa died when he was little. He born in New World and he was the hope of a whole town and more, because he was the hope of the whole world. The hope of the Spackle too. His love for Viola could make anything possible, and more if it was for her. Mayor Prentiss could have changed him, but Todd fight against all odds and win. WIN!
- Viola Eade: well, this is an interesting girl. From the beginning we don't know how she is and what she is planning. Like any other woman, he doesn't have Noise and that keep us out of her thought, although in the second and third book we have chapters in her POV. Which were good and all, I certainly became more interested in her. Just like Todd, she doesn't have parents. But hers died when their scout arrive the planet. They just crashed and the only one who survive was Viola. She was very lucky, unlucky in the same time, to find Todd -more like him to her-. They became friends with time, until finally both knows that they love each other. Lovers until end. If he would kill for her, she would start a war for him and bring peace for him and also, she would die for him, with him, and without him. Everything for her is Todd, as the same for Todd.
- 1017 / The Return / The Sky: you know, he was kind of the antagonist, but not at the end. He certainly wanted to kill Todd -or The Knife like he said-, and when he finally have the opportunity he regrets. If Todd is the boy who can't kill, then he is the spackle who can't kill. He was looking for revenge, because his one in particular -aka lover/partner- was killed by The Clearing -humans-. At the end, he cannot bear killing Todd and he finally ends helping humans and making peace. Good Spackle! I was kind of sad for him, but thanks that he was alone, he found himself being The Sky -aka, the leader of the Spackle-.
- Mayor/President David Prentriss: he is the most effing bloody antagonist I have ever read in my life. He reminds me of President Snow [The Hunger Games], but Prentriss is sort of more villain. He have no Noise, because he control it and obviously, he control everyone with his. He use the Noise as a weapon and when he finally ends understanding everything about it -like hearing everything in the world- he becomes mad. Finally killing himself. I love him for that!
- Mistress Nicola Coyle: I didn't thought that a woman could be so... I really don't have a word for her, but certainly she is up for no good. Viola trust her, and Coyle almost kill her just to kill the President. I was very glad when she exploded.
I cannot describe more characters, because I will jot end, but every single one are important. EVERYONE! My favorites are: Wilf, Bradley, Manchee, Acorn, Agharrad (forgot how to write it), Jane, Lee, Ben, Cilian and David Prentriss Jr. You know, I will never ever forget about these books. These books have changed my life, for good. I'm seeing the life as how it would be if we tried a little bit harder. Love conquers all!
I would like to talk about the end, but I don't want you to spoil you much. But I know that you will be all happy about it, so I recommend you to read Snowscape (Chaos Walking #3). I will review it to, but that short story is a must read. Read online here.