Wednesday, May 4, 2016

[Double Review] The Heir + The Crown, by: Kiera Cass

(The Selection #4 & #5)
by: Kiera Cass

Overall: ★★★★☆

Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.

But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests.

Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.

-----------

In The Heir, a new era dawned in the world of The Selection. Twenty years have passed since America Singer and Prince Maxon fell in love, and their daughter is the first princess to hold a Selection of her own.

Eadlyn didn’t think she would find a real partner among the Selection’s thirty-five suitors, let alone true love. But sometimes the heart has a way of surprising you…and now Eadlyn must make a choice that feels more difficult—and more important—than she ever expected.

What a ride! A year has passed since I read The Heir, but only a few days since I read The Crown. I have to admit that almost a year later, reading The Crown was not an easy task, but things kept coming to me and I started to remember all the issues and such. Yet, I have to say that from my vague memories that The Crown is way better than The Heir.

In The Heir we get so many new characters, but we keep seeing others that we already love. But it was very shocking to changed from America to Eadlyn, because they do NOT think alike at all. They do have some common things, they are mother and daughter, so is obvious, but overall not so much. When we read from America's perspective, we knew her background as humble, poor, but rich in love. Now, with Eadlyn's (which I do not know how say her name) is something much different. Her background is full of love, no doubt in that, but she was raised almost as a brat and she behaves like one until she crashes with The Selection wall.

Once again, the country of Ilea is pending on a line thanks to I don't know who. But the people aren't seeing much change since the castes were vanished. There is difference, but not that much and people is rebelling against it. Maxon wonderful idea is to create, once again, a Selection for his older child, Eadlyn. She agrees only because is her duty as the princess and next in line to the crown. At the beginning we see an Eadlyn very cold to everything. She did not expect to find her fairytale love in such thing as this Selection.

Then her world started to change bit by bit drastically. She must confront that she IS the next to the crown, something she thought it was going to happen in the future not at the moment. The Selection is in full swing and the candidates aren't that bad, except that Kile is in it (aka Marlee's son). Her twin, Ahren (I think I spelled it wrong), found love in the french princess and elope with her. Eadlyn wasn't bitter about that fact, but he clearly left in the worst moment (almost at the end of the book). The worst moment is when America has a heart attack and Eadlyn crashes against another wall of facing her inevitable future, to become Queen. America almost dying, the Selection reduced to the Elite, Ahren gone... surely it wouldn't get worse, but oh so wait! Eadlyn finally falls in love... with someone that isn't in the Selection. Goddammit, Kiera, back again with the plot twists.

The Heir was not that a cool ride, because it was totally hard to keep track of everything at the time. But now that I read the Crown and there is the possibility of another book, because nothing got straight in it... I cannot wait for that book.

Plot twists I never expected:

  • Eadlyn rising to be Queen this soon.
  • Hale and Ean being gay AND a couple.
  • Eadlyn not choosing Kile to marry her.
  • Eadlyn and Eikko (Erik) being in love.
  • Henri knowing all along that Eikko and Eadlyn were in love.
  • Eadlyn basically saying "fuck you all" at the last Report.
  • Kaden "feeling" something for Jossie.
  • Jossie not being a bitch at all.
  • Maxon having a half-sister and her being Lady Brice.
As you can see The Crown was full of little plot twists to spice the ride of the book. I totally love all of them and I never, never thought of any these. The most shocking was Hale and Ean!

I'll be waiting for more, Kiera. Please give me more. Once upon a time I thought these two books were just a waste of time, but I know now I was wrong. I need these and now I want more. I fell in love with all these characters and I need now to see Ilea good and healthy in the new "constitutional monarchy", plus I want a better epilogue. Please give me more. And for you, if you haven't read nothing of the series and now you are full of spoilers... read the books anyways. Or you did read them and you agree with me, don't be shy and talk to me. I would love to know some predictions of how this is going to end. Read me later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!