Sunday, February 4, 2018

[Review] Meet Cute, by: Various Authors

MEET CUTE: SOME PEOPLE ARE DESTINED TO MEET

by: Various Authors
Publication Date: January 2nd, 2018
Read Date: February 4th, 2018
Genre: Anthology, Romance, Young Adult
Format: Kindle Edition
Pages: 323

 

Whether or not you believe in fate, or luck, or love at first sight, every romance has to start somewhere. MEET CUTE is an anthology of original short stories featuring tales of “how they first met” from some of today’s most popular YA authors.

Readers will experience Nina LaCour's beautifully written piece about two Bay Area girls meeting via a cranky customer service Tweet, Sara Shepard's glossy tale about a magazine intern and a young rock star, Nicola Yoon's imaginative take on break-ups and make-ups, Katie Cotugno's story of two teens hiding out from the police at a house party, and Huntley Fitzpatrick's charming love story that begins over iced teas at a diner. There’s futuristic flirting from Kass Morgan and Katharine McGee, a riveting transgender heroine from Meredith Russo, a subway missed connection moment from Jocelyn Davies, and a girl determined to get out of her small town from Ibi Zoboi. Jennifer Armentrout writes a sweet story about finding love from a missing library book, Emery Lord has a heartwarming and funny tale of two girls stuck in an airport, Dhonielle Clayton takes a thoughtful, speculate approach to pre-destined love, and Julie Murphy dreams up a fun twist on reality dating show contestants.

This incredibly talented group of authors brings us a collection of stories that are at turns romantic and witty, epic and everyday, heartbreaking and real.

overall rate

This is what I thought of every story after reading them. Each one of them has rating on their own.

Siege Etiquette - Katie Cotugno
FOUR STARS
Let me tell you something real quick… How dare this author give me just this tiny chapter and not a whole book? I demand a book with a happy ending between these two characters ASAP!

I’m calm now. Four stars because it was beautiful, but left me with a broken heart because there is no more… that I know of. Please let me know if I’m wrong (please, I wanna be wrong).

Print Shop - Nina LaCour
FIVE STARS
OMG! Such a sweet story. I wouldn’t mind if there was more, but this little thing had a good beginning and ending, so I’m totally okay with this. I loved everything. The narrator was super good and how the story was told even better. Kudos for the author!

Hourglass - Ibi Zoboi
WHAT STARS (aka THREE STARS)
Mira, mira, mira…. I was like WTF when I turned the last page. It did not have an end! I was so into it because the narrator was good enough to suck me in. Then when the “Meet Cute” finally happened, story ENDED. Wanted more. The story wasn’t fully written (in my opinion), when the end came.

Click - Katharine McGee
FIVE STARS
After the mess of the last story, this one was perfection. It had a perfect beginning, a good rising action, a teary climax and the perfect ending. The couple is super cute. The way it was written made it everything perfect. I just love the whole story. That’s it.

Somewhere That’s Green - Meredith Russo
FIVE STARS
Yes! Love this one. I hate when people talk shit to hide things about themselves, but I love when they swallow their pride to make everything right again. Kudos to Lexie!

The Way We Love Here - Dhonielle Clayton
FOUR STARS
Awwn. It was cute but confusing. Sometimes seeing the future is not good. These two had a snippet of it. All the story was confusing, but I loved how they meet (because it was totally cute).

Oohmp - Emery Lord
FIVE STARS
You see, I love to read stories like this one. Stories that leave me with a smile from ear to ear. Stories that make me believe that there are good people out there and that I’ll find one of those to love and be loved back. I loved this story, that’s it.

The Dictionary of You and Me - Jennifer L. Armentrout
FIVE STARS
Is no secret that JLA is one of my favorite authors. So reading this short story was like a refresh of how much I love her writing. I seriously loved everything. The girl was a librarian, just like me! Can I have my nerd boyfriend now?

The Unlikely Likelihood of Falling in Love - Jocelyn Davies
FIVE STARS
Fate is math or something like this is what she thinks. I was totally on board with that until her results were screwed up a little. Love can never be math. That’s the beauty of it. Loved the story.

259 Million Miles - Kass Morgan
THREE STARS
No, bye. You don’t have the permission to break my heart like you just did. I want no more of what you wrote. I expected something cute, instead, I got this wrecked end.

Something Real - Julie Murphy
FIVE STARS
Awe. I loved this one! I clearly knew what was going to happen at the end, but I still loved it.

Say Everything - Huntley Fitzpatrick
FIVE STARS
I want a resolutions book... Can we go back in time to when I was 13 and could do that? I loved how this story went.

The Department of Dead Love - Nicola Yoon
FIVE STARS
The whole thing was a genius idea. The buildings, the name of the departments and the names of the workers. Love is complicated and having a whole campus dedicated to it sounds like something I would dig and I did. This boy comes with a “broken heart” asking why his relationship with his longtime friend, and for a short period of time girlfriend, died. He was in need of an Autopsy. Wouldn’t that be good in real life? I LOVED THIS STORY!

OVERALL
I love how every Meet Cute is different but still cute. I love how all these authors put together these stories that made my heart dance. I was sad with a few of them because the end was just crushing, but overall I was just left with a huge smile at the end of these stories. I wish someone of this stories become real books, but if they don’t I’ll be okay anyway.

Anthologies sometimes are hard to love, but this one was a really good one. I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!