Monday, January 8, 2018

[Review] The Sword of Summer, by: Rick Riordan

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #1

THE SWORD OF SUMMER

by: Rick Riordan
Publication Date: October 6th, 2015
Read Date: January 7th, 2018
Genre: Fantasy, Norse Mythology, Young Adult
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 499

 

Magnus Chase has always been a troubled kid. Since his mother’s mysterious death, he’s lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, keeping one step ahead of the police and the truant officers.

One day, he’s tracked down by a man he’s never met—a man his mother claimed was dangerous. The man tells him an impossible secret: Magnus is the son of a Norse god.

The Viking myths are true. The gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Trolls, giants and worse monsters are stirring for doomsday. To prevent Ragnarok, Magnus must search the Nine Worlds for a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years.

When an attack by fire giants forces him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents, Magnus makes a fatal decision.

Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die . . .

my rate


If you think that the two Percy Jackson series were funny, then you must read this one because is HILARIOUS! Magnus Chase is the character. Nothing else to say. His smart mouth and wit make him the best character for this new Norse journey of mine.

So, yeah, I know basically nothing of Norse mythology. Just that Odin, Loki, and Thor are part of it, apart from that I know nothing. Which is why I started so lost in this book, but it was a good kind of lost. One of the worst things was not knowing how to say all the Norse words. Some of them Magnus was kind enough to explain how it was supposed to be said, but overall I was lost at sea. Just for this book, I can tell you that I am really impressed by this mythology. Greek will always be my favorite, Roman will always hold the second place, but Norse has stepped up from where it was, which was nowhere near.

I found fascinating how religions lap together in some ways. How things from here and there, and things from there are here. I found very curious how Rick entwined a known character for me, Annabeth Chase, with this whole new character, Magnus. If you don't know, then read the Percy Jackson books, that's from where Annabeth is. Is giving me headaches how these two different mythologies can be in the same universe, but oh well. Back to Norse, I need to do a little research about it and understand more of the main gods. Thank God I work in a library.

The book is a work of art. Easy to read and it hooks you up so fast that you might as well finish it in one sitting, which I almost did. I will always recommend Rick Riordan's books, but if you want to break from Greek and Roman (which are almost everywhere) then Norse might be a good change.
PS, I really want now a green shirt that says "Property of Hotel Valhalla", just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!