Friday, May 12, 2017

[Review] The Rest of Us Just Live Here, by: Patrick Ness

THE REST OF US JUST LIVE HERE

by: Patrick Ness
Release Date: August 27th, 2015
Read Date: May 12th, 2017
Format: Paperback
Pages: 336

What if you aren't the Chosen One? The one who's supposed to fight the zombies, or the soul-eating ghosts, or whatever the heck this new thing is, with the blue lights and the death?

What if you're like Mikey? Who just wants to graduate and go to prom and maybe finally work up the courage to ask Henna out before someone goes and blows up the high school. Again.

Because sometimes there are problems bigger than this week's end of the world, and sometimes you just have to find the extraordinary in your ordinary life.

Even if your best friend is worshiped by mountain lions.

MY RATE


Guys, I have a literally crush on Patrick Ness, I swear. From the moment I read his trilogy, to this moment that I read this book... I couldn't stop myself from loving it. This book, as any other of the author, is so beautifully written that you get to be wrapped up in it all from page one.

Have you ever wondered what happens to all those characters that are behind the scenes? Those characters are not Chosen, that simply fill the gap of spaces in common places like the park or the school. Well, this book is full of them. All those characters that weren't Chosen and that have to live a normal as possible life. Mike tries to live a life as possible, but the world is always full of things that threaten it and he just wants to graduate before the schools explode, again. He has a crush on a girl that has a crush on someone else. He has to keep looking out what his sister eats. His best friend is hiding things from him. A stranger has come to his circle of friends and Mike is feeling left out. His OCD is getting out of control. And on top of all that, there are blue lights everywhere that are trying to invade the whole world. Ugh. So, thank God that he isn't actually a Chosen one.

Reading about Mike was really refreshing. Reading about someone from the outside was refreshing. Reading that he is as normal as us, makes it even better. This book is not five stars in my mind, but it made me laugh so much that I would rate it that way. I think that there were things left out, but overall it was a very good read.  Mike can be very relatable that I feel like he is part of my world rather than his. His family is a normal one, with problems and all that. Everything was well constructed, so I really enjoy reading it.

I'm not sure if anyone would enjoy a book like this, but I'm sure that anyone can try it and at the end, you might enjoy it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!