Wednesday, July 8, 2015

[R] Grave Mercy. by: Robin LaFevers

Grave Mercy
(His Fair Assasin #1)
by: Robin LaFevers

★★★½☆

Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?


my thoughts
The book is not actually what I thought it was going to be. It hooked me only a little bit and I did not like much the end. It entrertain me a bit, but it was too slow for my likes.
“People hear and see what they expect to hear and see.”
Grave Mercy is about more than one thing. First, we have our main character, Ismae. A girl that survive eventhough her father did not wanted her and almost kill her. Considered herself a Death's maiden, witch such gifts of being Death's daughter. Second, we have all this covent of nuns that follow orders of St. Mortain (the god of death) and teaches the Death's maidens to kill in different ways. They teach Ismae to kill and give her missions. Third, when Ismae missions conflits with Gavriel Duval plans, their worlds clash. Gavriel wants the best for the duchess, but Ismae missions is to see if this is true. Fourth, their country is the line of war, there is a traitor and Ismae must find him and kill him. Last, there is a battle in the whole book between killing vs. misericorde, who wins?
“When one consorts with assassins, one must expect to dance along the edge of a knife once or twice.”
I like the lingo of the book, because well is very royal. But it was hard for me to keep track of what they were saying. I do NOT like politics so the tidy-bits of their war problem did not interested me. I did not like how the characters progress, such as Isabelou, Annith or Sybella. They did not appeared much and when they did, they were always different. I hated that Beast and De Lornay died, because I really like them. I loved that the main character was a totally kick-ass and that she did not need any help to succeed in her plans. And I dislike that the book finished with me wanting to know what happens next and I'm not sure if I should read the next books. Maybe one day, maybe.
“... while I am Death's daughter and walk in His dark shadow, surely the darkness can give way to light sometimes.” 
PS, I LOVE that cover!

4 comments:

  1. I think I may end up with the same star range as you.. It's going so slow and I haven't been able to finish it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the good thing is that you still have more than half a month to finish it, right? haha and yes, i thought it was too slow for me, so i'm really really thinking about not reading the sequels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, yes. A little over than half of the month is left. I hear the second one is pretty good. I think that one is based on Sybella. But if the pace is going to be like this for the rest of the series.. I really don't know if I will be able to make it through...

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, the second book is of Sybella and the third is of Annith. I want to know what happens to them, but just like you, if its that slow i don't see myself reading them.

    ReplyDelete

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!