Tuesday, December 23, 2014

[R] Red Queen, by: Victoria Aveyard

Red Queen
(Red Queen Trilogy #1)
by: Victoria Aveyard

5 stars

The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?

my thoughts

I'm totally sure that I shouldn't make a review of this book, because well it's not out and I don't want to spoiler anything to you. BUT I will do this smooth, real and without spoilers, so go ahead and read my thoughts.

I have read some comments about this book. Some are good, others are blah and some are bad(ish). I'm from the bunch that says this book is actually good. I do agree with some blah reviews, because it has its moments, but a + b does not always equals c. This books is good almost touching perfect, but it deserves the 5 stars.
“If you know someone's fear, you know them.”
The world here is slighty, I dunno, different. The people is divided between being Red or Silver (the color of your blood). The Reds are the slaves, the workers, the no ones. But the Silvers are the royalty, the powerful and certainly the gods. Mare Barrow, a Red, isn't someone with skill or job, she steals to survive and she knows her fate, when she turns 18 she will send to war. But fate make miracles and she obviously needed one, so fate grant her one. One day everything changes, her world is turned up side down and she must survive by any cost even if the price is too high. Will she pay it?
“I'm a Red girl in a sea of Silvers and I can't afford to feel sorry for anyone, least of all the son of a snake.”
Not only her world changes, but everything she thought she knew changes. Her blood, her thoughts, her family... everything. The author give us the perfect setting, the perfect background, but not so good characters. The whole book I was confused in trusting who or what. Everyone lies, everyone betrays. I couldn't even trust the main character (and narrator), because she didn't know all the facts. I hate not knowing. I hate being confused. I even hate the love triangle (minor spoiler), because I don't even know if there was such a thing after that end. What I do know is that I want the next book ASAP.
“You should know the difference between secrets and lies.”
The world is fascinating, the abilities, the history, the way they make everything function, but I hate what the narrator hate... the "balance". The balance always goes in the Silver favor and in the Red ultimate death. I hate that only because the Silvers had a different blood that means they are important and the Reds not. BUT everything changes when Mare enters the picture. She is the key of everything. Her deadly power can destroy even that Silver structure. Everyone should fear her, because in the next book she wants revenge and she wants the Silver blood of the KING.
“It's our nature. We destroy. It's the constant of our kind. No matter the color of blood, man will always fall.”
I assure you that you will love the book. The history, action and scenery. I assure you that some characters are ispiring, but not others. I assure you that you will suffer what Mare suffers. I assure you confusion and wanting to throw the book at the nearest wall because wanting answers, but running after it because you will want to continue reading just to know. I assure you that you will end the book and you WILL want the next one. But, hear me out, no matter how annoying, boring or even confused some parts are... keep reading. Do not put it on your "dnf" list, finish it and at least a 3 stars you will give it because you will like it. Thanks for reading me!
“Rise, red as the dawn.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!