Friday, July 25, 2014

[R] Obsession, by: Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsession
by: Jennifer L. Armentrout

★★★★★

He’s arrogant, domineering, and... To. Die. For.

Hunter is a ruthless killer. And the Department of Defense has him firmly in their grasp, which usually doesn’t chafe too badly because he gets to kill bad guys. Most of the time he enjoys his job. That is, until he’s saddled with something he’s never had to do before: protect a human from his mortal enemy.

Serena Cross didn’t believe her best friend when she claimed to have seen the son of a powerful senator turn into something... unnatural. Who would? But then she witnesses her friend’s murder at the hands of what can only be an alien, thrusting her into a world that will kill to protect their secret.

Hunter stirs Serena’s temper and her lust despite their differences. Soon he’s doing the unthinkable—breaking the rules he’s lived by, going against the government to keep Serena safe. But are the aliens and the government the biggest threats to Serena’s life… or is it Hunter?

my thoughts

Oh Holy Jesus H. Christ and all the aliens out there! This book was that good. It hooked me from the start and I couldn't get my hands off until the end. The Lux Series are seriously good, but if there were more Arum novels like this one, I would be up to read them. I feel bad drooling over an Arum and not a Luxen, but hey give me a break.
“Hunter's stomach was perfection—each taut muscle tight and totally lickable. Not that I'd ever licked a man's stomach before, but now I got why someone would want to. I was in six-pack heaven.”
Like I said, this is an Arum novel. For those of you who don't know what an Arum is... well, its an alien, but more complicated than that. The author tell us that its not necessary to read the Lux Series to understand this book or viceversa, but I really to recommend both books. Not because to understand (or maybe yes), but because they are that good.
“Well, the good guys really weren't typical. They really weren't the good guys at all, but if I discovered anything, there was no such thing as white and black. There was a lot of gray in the middle.”
Going back to the main subject. Hunter, our main male character, is an Arum and our main female character is just a 23 years old human called Serena Cross. The story is simple, after Serena's friend tell her about what happened between two Luxens and got kill, she (Serena) must be protected and that is where Hunter comes in. From past experiences, we had known that Arum works with the DOD (Department of Defense) and Hunter is one of them. After a couple of days Hunter "babysitting" Serena, the sexual tension keeps growing and so does the danger of many things: falling in love, kill Serena (from Hunter's part), die... Because after all even the DOD wants Serena dead, so now Hunter's "job" is more complicated. Serena keeps asking why he keeps saving her and not even Hunter knows the answer, but we do.
“I smiled then—a big, toothy idiotic smile— and Serena didn't see it. Her eyes were closed, which was good, because I was turning into one big vagina.”
I cannot compare Hunter with Daemon, because they are not even the same type of alien, but hell they do have one big similitude... their love. When they love, they really love. Apart from that, Hunter and Serena's chemistry does looks alike to Daemon and Katy's. I love how the author gave us a sneak peek of how Arum live and how much alike to the Luxen they are, in some ways. I love everything about Hunter, this story, Serena, the end and when I figured out who was the Luxen standing before Luc... Poor Daemon! I wanted to cry. I love how much Hunter changed from the beginning of the book to the end. He was a dickhead and he will be until the end, but he became softy only for Serena. That's a good story to read.
“Somehow, in the relatively short time I’d known Serena, she had wiggled her way into my cold body. She was my light, my warmth, and I wasn’t ready to let her go.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!