Thursday, December 21, 2017

#ReviewsInFewWords [3]

Now, this is the type of post in where I type short reviews of books that I read a long time ago or books that I forgot to review once I was finished with them. I got a long list of books, so I will divide into different posts and post them once in a while. Anyways, I might not remember much of them, but how they made me feel will always stay within myself, right? I hope so because here goes nothing.
John Green Edition 

my rate


LOOKING FOR ALASKA

by: John Green
Release Date: December 28th, 2006
Read Date: December 23th, 2012
Genre: Contemporary, Young Adult
Format: Kindle Edition
Pages: 221

This book was the first book I read of John Green, and it sort of prepared me for whatever was going to come after in his other books. I got myself immersed in this book so much that I was truly shocked at what happened and I couldn't comprehend that an author would have done this. I kept wishing that it was a cruel joke and that, indeed, nothing bad happened.

I was so naive. I truly believed that authors were good people that were going to provide me with happy endings always. Reality is not like that, so why would fiction be? This book showed me that life isn't pink, but a shade of colors that don't have names because you must name them yourself.

I felt like Pudge. I really want to seek my "great perhaps" and I must accept that along the way I will lose (and win) some people. Not always I'll have an answer to what happened, but having the privilege to meet them will be enough to keep going. 

So, yeah, I really recommend this book. I basically read it six years ago, I barely remember much of it without messing everything up (that's why I didn't say much of the actual book), but I truly remember how it made me feel.

 

my rate


THE FAULT IN OUR STARS

by: John Green
Release Date: January 10th, 2012
Read Date: December 31st, 2012
Genre: Contemporary, Young Adult
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 313

Ok, now I think I can write this review. Probably the entire generation of millennials know this book, so everyone knows what happens. I read this book almost six years ago too, but the scenes are less blurry than Looking for Alaska thanks to the movie.

After reading the book I just reviewed, I knew what I was getting into when I started this one. It was kind of obvious that someone was going to die and then it happened, I wasn't happy, but I was prepared and it wasn't that hard to accept. I laughed a lot in this book because even though it was a sad story, the characters always made something up so their situation wouldn't be so bad.

I love the optimism of Augustus Waters, I hope to be always like him, but at the same time to have the reality check with the same hilariousness of Isaac. So basically I want to be like Hazel at the end, someone who accepted what happened and looked up to better things life that will be coming. I might be scared of oblivion, thanks to Hazel, but I'm okay with that. Because okay is the better always.

 

my rate


AN ABUNDANCE OF KATHERINES

by: John Green
Release Date: September 21st, 2006
Read Date: March 3rd, 2013
Genre: Contemporary, Young Adult
Format: Paperback
Pages: 215

My final thoughts after reading the book (this is back in 2013):
      I did not fell in love with the book, but I liked it. It shows how life can be when you always try to think what is going to happen next. We cannot live like that. It's sick. Plus, if you think that everything will be bad, then it will. Do not step ahead, just live life one day at the time.
18-year-old me knew few, but had something clear: better to expected the unexpected and never plan something it cannot be planned.

Looking back now, I barely remember this book and I might even mix stories a little from other books. But I got some things clear. Colin is an obsessed planner. He wants to know everything to a molecule level, they whys, the hows and everything else. He couldn't comprehend that life cannot be explained so easily.

So this is what I took from the book. Live life one day at the time. The future will always be uncertain, be prepared for it, but never take it for granted. Also, this book was funny, so there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!