Friday, April 17, 2015

[R] Love Hurts, by: Malorie Blackman

Love Hurts
by: Malorie Blackman

★★★★☆

Have you ever fallen for someone the rest of the world thought you shouldn't have? Malorie Blackman brings together the very best young adult authors writing today in a stunningly romantic collection of love against the odds.

Featuring stories and extracts about modern star-crossed lovers, Love Hurts looks at every kind of relationship, from first kiss to final heartbreak. This is a collection for anyone who has ever loved and lost - and loved again...



my thoughts

I will NOT review all the stories from this book, but I will review some of them. Maybe not my favorites, but the ones that I really remember well. So…
Humming Through My Fingers, by Malorie Blackman
It’s the first story of the whole book and thank God it was this one and no other one. Choosing this story made want to read the whole book in one seating, but you cannot. Reading a book from someone who cannot see must be interesting and hearing what she has to say is even more interesting. I wanted more, because it leaves you wanting more. I wanted a whole book of this story, but I guess my wish will not be fulfill.
More Than This, by Patrick Ness
I actually read this whole book and its one of my favorites, so rereading a part of it was lovely. What I did not liked was the part she [Malorie Blackman] chose. It’s heartbreaking read a breaking up scene and it broke my heart in a million pieces once again.
If I Stay, by Gayle Forman
Same as More Than This, I read this whole book before and I kind of like it, but not that good to be a favorite. I couldn’t read the whole piece that was in this book. I just couldn’t, too many feels.
Trouble, by Non Pratt
Now, this story leave me wanting a lot more. And it is a full book… and I want to buy it ASAP. I want to know what happened to the girl before she became how she is. I want to know what goes through the boy’s head to do what he did. And of course, I want to know how it ends. It left me hooked and I want more of this drug.
You Against Me, by Jen Downham
This fragment of a book, aka story for me, confused me a lot. Because I didn’t know what I was reading until I did and when I did, it ended. Do you get me? So my problem with this piece of book was that it did not conclude for me, I wanted a happy ending and it just ended in the freaking climax.
Noughts & Crosses, by Malorie Blackman
This part of a book broke my heart. It was just in a million pieces and I couldn’t keep reading the other story. I’m not sure if I should read the whole book or even the series, but sounds like a good one. In these scenes they did not broke up or amend themselves, but fate played with them and did not let them reunited like they have loved. It broke me, dude, it did.
Gentlewoman, Laura Dockrill
Damn! Why this story isn’t a book? Jezzz! I wanted more. It’s one of the few LGBT stories I have read that really really liked. It is about a boy called Dan wanting to be a girl [Danni] from a very long time. It has a lot of feels, because how to tell his best friend or even his once girlfriend, who he stills likes. Plus, we have a family that supports him and loves him just like he is. See why I wanted more? This story for me is five stars!
Miss Lucy Had a Steamboat, by David Levithan
This is a real full written story, not just a part of a book, and I like every second of it. It deals with falling in love, breaking up and moving on. Everything is just there. Plus I like the Miss Lucy lyrics. Once again, David Levithan does it for me, I should read more books from him, someday I will.
Grasshopper Jungle, by Andrew Smith
I, once, thought of reading this book. And now that I read a part of it, I don’t want to anymore. It wasn’t bad, but it is just not my kind of book or a book I would enjoy. It just didn’t made me feel anything.
Echo Boy, by Matt Haig
This was a strange scene. This book sounds really interesting from reading this short part of it. From what I gathered is settled in the future where robots [aka Echoes] exist. But there is this Echo that has imagination [just like I, Robot] and feels. The main character hates Echoes, but this one seems very dear to her, even I can say she loves him and that Echo loves her. It was really sad that the part was short and I couldn’t see something happy in it… yet, because if I read the whole book maybe.
The Unicorn, by James Dawson
This is basically the last one of my favorites in this book. Its on a strange setting. A boat in the war days (didn’t know if it was the first war or the second. In a boat where there are only guys, and in that period of time, being gay was a crime. But from what I gathered a lot of people were gay in the closet. Some had a wife and family, still having relations with men. In this story, our main character is gay and falls in love with this dude… certainly this dude break his heart. Such a sad story this one, but very good written.
Overall!!
I loved how the book started, but I hated how it end. All the hope that it gave me was turn in hate to love. The last two stories were heart breaking…! I rate the book four stars not because of how broke left my heart, but for how fuck up this heart breaking stories were. But the best things were the love stories! The happy endings were the fucking best and for that I’m grateful of reading this book.

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds pretty good. I have not seen a book that gets different stories from other books before, that are YA. I might look into this. And when I do I will read the story that had you reading the whole book. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book overall it is really good. I have read other anthologies, but I cannot compare them to this one. This one was about love and it was really good (repeating myself here, but its the only word I can say). Everyone should read it. Thanks for reading my review.

    ReplyDelete

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!