Sunday, March 1, 2015

[R] Love & Other Theories, by: Alexis Bass

Love & Other Theories
by: Alexis Bass

★★½☆☆

If you want more, you have to give less.

That’s the secret to dating in high school. By giving as little as they expect to get in return, seventeen-year-old Aubrey Housing and her three best friends have made it to the second semester of their senior year heartbreak-free. And it’s all thanks to a few simple rules: don’t commit, don’t be needy, and don’t give away your heart.

So when smoking-hot Nathan Diggs transfers to Lincoln High, it shouldn’t be a big deal. At least that’s what Aubrey tells herself. But Nathan’s new-boy charm, his kindness, and his disarming honesty throw Aubrey off her game and put her in danger of breaking the most important rule of all: Don’t fall in love.
my thoughts
“I was desperate for a kiss, but I was terrified to kiss him. There was nothing I wanted more, and that was the terrifying part.”
*sighs* I really don't have much to say about this book. Sometimes I'm without words because the book was that good, but now I'm without words because the book wasn't that good. I guess that because of my rate you figured which was the result. The book isn't exactly bad, but it wasn't for me.
“I picture my pain separated into fragments. Instead of getting pierced with a giant knife that has the potential to kill, I'll just be stabbed occasionally with razor blades. So when he finally leaves me for good, and the last cut is inflicted, I'll be used to the pain.”
The story goes this way... After some bad disappointments, the gang became experts in love. They came up with the Theories. They aren't written anywhere, but you follow them. If you want more, you have to give less. The Theories follow that simple rule and in the whole story you can see how they are broke every time. Aubrey is our main character and she knew, she knew the Theories worked, but it always affect someone, mostly the person who is following them. She thought that following them was going to bring her less pain, but when a new guy arrives and a guy from her past arrives too... the Theories seem wrong somehow. What she must understand is that anything is never that simple.
“You have to be careful. People can often seem the most deserving before you really know them.”
I didn't like Aubrey or the gang. I didn't like Nathan or the other guys, but I did like very much Trip. He was different. He knew everything, but didn't say much. He was hopefull all book long. He made see Aubrey how wrong she was with the Theories. Trip is basically the MVP in this book, not Nathan, not Aubrey, not Shelby or any of the gang, but Trip. Really, I do not have more to say... I did like something, but overall this book wasn't my cup of tea. I wouldn't recommend it, sorry.
“Good-byes are sad, but they don't have to be. We always knew we'd be moving on, we just never understood what it took to do it, and what we got to take from the people and places we left.”

1 comment:

  1. Interesting to see what you thought! I was thinking of picking it up but maybe I won't now.

    ReplyDelete

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!