Saturday, June 14, 2014

[R] The One, by: Kierra Cass

The One 
(The Selection #3)
by: Kiera Cass

★★★★☆

The time has come for one winner to be crowned.

When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.

Appearently, 2014 is the year to finish some series for me. The Selection was one of those. Finally, The One came to my house and I read it as fast as I could. Before reading the whole series, I knew I was going to love them and right now, after finishing, I wasn't that far from the true. I like the trilogy very much, maybe one of my faves, but it will not be in my top 15 ones. I LOVE THE COVERS! I'm pretty sure that those covers will be in my top 5 favorite ones. This review contains some spoilers of people who died and things I didn't like to happened, so BEWARE!
“Leave it to you to find beauty in something others would say ruins a day.”
This book continues shortly after the last one left us. America, who I will refer as Mer, still in the competition, because of Maxon. Our Prince Maxon still loves Mer after all the things she have done. Not that it matters because somehow they were for the benefit of someone. Appart from loving the sceneries, dresses and the fancy things, I like very much the growing of the difficult things, as in the uprisings, the rebels and the reveal of so many secrets to Maxon and to Mer. Our little Mer is doing anything she have in her power to keep competing for Maxon and to help the lower castes. Agaisnt everything, she keep seeing what good her world has.
“Your eyes look like chocolate,” I mumbled. He smiled. “And yours look like the morning sky.”
The love between Mer and Maxon grew so so much that it was very frustrating not to read them saying "I love you"s until almost the end. She wasn't confused about how much she loved Maxon, but she didn't want to tell him until she was sure... of what? I'm still trying to understand that part. Mer doesn't understand that Maxon would do everything for her, but he didn't say it first because he didn't want his heart broken. Mer could do that to him and that we know it.
“Bravery hides in amazing places.”
War in this book was inevitable. We were waiting for it for a long time and it was just the perfect point to make it happened. But I got angry when everything happened so fast. I wanted more action for Mer's part. She just was there, waiting for everything to happen and then see what consequences it caused. I wanted her to fight and fight for what she wanted. Sadly, if wishes were fishes...
“Break my heart. Break it a thousand times if you like. It was only ever yours to break anyway.”
WE KNEW SHE WAS GOING TO WIN. From the beginning, we knew. But the author tricked us from time to time making us doubt about it. I really like the other girls, in special, Celeste. I was so so sad about what happened at the end, because it wasn't fair. After one of the most bitch of the girls, change herself to be good... you just throw her off the story? I'm still mad about that part. And of course, sad and mad about Mer's father. WHY?!?! He was so good and such a support for Mer that it really broke my heart reading his death, and it was all the same when I read the Queen died in the attack. Sort of happy that the King died, anyway.
“. . . It’s me?” “Of course it’s you.”
What more I didn't like? The End. It was beautiful and just how I like them, but I wanted more. Maybe an epilogue. Something that tells me that they did have a happy ever after with kids and all. *sighs* I just wanted more. If you want some kind of a fairy tale, but crossed between a kickass princess, read these series.

1 comment:

  1. Because I was an actual NDE, earthling, and because I’m not from this earth, lemme share with you what I actually know Seventh-Heaven's gonna be like for us: meet this ex-mortal Upstairs for the most-extra-groovy, pleasure-beyond-measure, Ultra-Yummy-Reality-Addiction in the Great Beyond for a BIG-ol, kick-ass, party-hardy, 101101101...-yummy-flavors you DO NOT wanna miss the smmmokin’-hot-deal. YES! For God, anything and everything and more! is possible!! Cya soon.

    ReplyDelete

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!