Saturday, January 4, 2014

[R] The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, by: Holly Black

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
by: Holly Black

★★★★½

Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. The only problem is, once you pass through Coldtown’s gates, you can never leave.

One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself.


Who would think that such a book, about vampires, would hooked me up so much? I must be honest, when Twilight came out... I did read it and even got hooked up for a while, but it passed and now I'm sort of ashamed of that step in my life. Then, there was the Vampire Academy books, they are excellent books, but it didn't got me like this book, maybe because it was a series. BUT HOLLY SHIT AND COW! This book was outstanding!

Tana's world is basically like a combination between dystopian and fantasy worlds. We have a epidemic of the desease called vampirism, which is totally fantasy, but the world went to hell thanks to it. After a hell of a party, Tana remains alone at the end only with a lot of corpses, his ex-boyfriend (which is now infected and becoming a vampire) and someone strange vampire called Gavriel. Worst of all, she can be infected and if she is not, she is after her first conflict with a vampire. The plan, after escaping the house full of vampires, is drive to the near Coldtown. There every infected is suppose to go and its basically the cage of vampires. But the journey is not that easy of how Tana thinks.

Let's talk about the awesome fact that this novel was first a short story and looks how it ends. I did not read the story, but I very much loved the novel. After saying that, you must notice that its a Holly Black's novel. Which is aka-amazing! Plus, is just one wholly book. No need of sequels. This book is the perfect combination.

Characters. Tana... our main character. She is just a really smart girl, but mostly she doesn't really know what she wants. I like her badass mood, but whenever she had like confused thoughts, I wanted to skip those parts. Gavriel... Holy mother of God, I wanted to be a vampire just to stay with him for infinity and beyond. Such better person you cannot find. About other characters, I can tell that I didn't like Aidan and Midnight, they were so... blah.

Why the 4.5 stars and not the whole 5 stars? Simple. I would love another ending. I don't like open ends, I hate them. Because I don't want to imagine their life after the book, I want them happy and period. The end was like: they lived happy OR they live sort of happy. And that's up to you, because you will add what happpens.

Anyhow, you should read the book. I love every second of it. I loved every quote at the beginning of every chapter and I love almost all the lines of Gavriel. I love that vampire! READ THE DAMNED BOOK!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!