Saturday, January 13, 2018

[Review] The Hammer of Thor, by: Rick Riordan

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #2

THE HAMMER OF THOR

by: Rick Riordan
Publication Date: October 4th, 2016
Read Date: January 12th, 2018
Genre: Norse Mythology, Fantasy, Young Adult
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 471

 

Thor's hammer is missing again. The thunder god has a disturbing habit of misplacing his weapon--the mightiest force in the Nine Worlds. But this time the hammer isn't just lost, it has fallen into enemy hands. If Magnus Chase and his friends can't retrieve the hammer quickly, the mortal worlds will be defenseless against an onslaught of giants. Ragnarok will begin. The Nine Worlds will burn. Unfortunately, the only person who can broker a deal for the hammer's return is the gods' worst enemy, Loki--and the price he wants is very high.

my rate


Did I already said that Magnus Chase was hilarious? Well, sorry, but I must correct myself... He makes you pee your pants of laughter. The situations he gets himself and his friends are not funny, but the way he describes everything makes everything laughable. Like, you are going to be swallowed by a giant? "Well, at least I ate falafel before, so this giant will be full after eating me." That sort of stuff.

In book one, we got the news that Thor lost his hammer, Mjolnir, again. Which is unfortunate now because the giants are threating to invade Midgard, aka the human world, and Thor will not have his magical weapon to do a hammertime. So, apparently is up to Magnus to find it and give it back to Thor (he's so lazy, I swear). Also, Loki is making a horrible plan of a wedding to get himself free from his chains. The wedding bride? Samirah The groom? An earth giant. Things escaleted quickly some book one, for sure. Also! There's a new child of Loki, the name is Alex Fierro and you would never believe the character.

I have to admit that I loved this journey more than the first. They are still battleting. The thing is the series is fantasy perfection. In this book we also see a glimpse of the other series of this author, The Trials of Apollo, and I swear to read it when the third book comes out this year. Mytholgies are full of weird stuff, but damn, these gods are their offpring are weirder and weirder.... Alex Fierro excluded. I love that argr!

My fellow friends, you have to read this series if you love Norse mytholgy or even if you know crap about it (like me). This series is mind openning and apart from teaching me a lot of Norse things, I enjoyed the trip. Read it.

PS, I have to point out that I did quite a research before digging into this book. I was so lost in the first book that I searched up in the library that I work in for Norse Mythology books. I only found two, but I read them, so I was totally prepared for this book. Still, The Hammer of Thor, taught me more than these two books combined.
PSS, the books are Norse Mythology, by Jim Olloff, and Favorite Norse Myths, by Mary Pope Osborne.

last review


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!