Saturday, December 30, 2017

[Review] Complicated, by: Kristen Ashley

COMPLICATED

by: Kristen Ashley
Publication Date: November 7th, 2017
Read Date: December 28th, 2017
Genre: Contemporary Romance, Adult
Format: Kindle Edition
Pages: 571

  

When small town Nebraska sheriff Hixon Drake meets Greta Dare, the connection couldn’t be stronger, but the timing couldn’t be worse.

Dealing with the fallout of a divorce he never wanted and setting up a new home for his kids, Hix becomes that guy, that one he never wanted to be, and puts a stop to things before they can even start. Protecting his kids, and himself, is his only priority.

Greta, on the other hand, has found the place for her and the brother she adores that’s perfect for them—a sleepy little town in Nebraska. She’s learned from life that there are no hopes and dreams. The only thing to look forward to is peace. And that’s what she works hard to build for herself and her brother. Right up until Hix walks into her life.

Hix can’t fight the pull and stay away from Greta for long. And Greta’s finding it hard not to hope for something more with all the promise that is Hix.

But when the first murder that’s happened in over five decades rocks his small, sleepy county, Hix has got to learn to trust again, convince Greta to take a shot with him, and at the same time catch a killer.

In other words, things are definitely…Complicated.

my rate


Have any of you seen the Netflix series, Longmire? No? Well, you NEED to. Because every single page of this book made me think of that series and let me enlighten you by telling you that the series is the shit. Now, back the book, the story was also da bomb, so rest assured, if you have never taken one of my many recommendations, you need to take this one seriously. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.

Now that the hype is contained (is not), let me tell you about the story. It takes place in the middle of nowhere, Nebraska. Where the best news is when the high school football team wins or when a cat is rescued from a tree, no joking those things happen IRL. There’s no crime and 911 closes down at 11pm, because no one calls after that because everyone is tucked in their beds and sleeping. But a county like any other, there’s a sheriff and that is our main male character, Hixon T. Drake, aka Hix. He’s the hero when problems come, but who rescues him when his problems are in the mouth of everyone? That’s where our main female character comes, Greta K. Dare. She’s barely new in town, does hair and sings on weekends for a living. Her music made these two connect, his problems made this two disconnect, but their pull was too strong so they kept on going, which by default made everything a little bit complicated.

This book cannot have a better title, I swear. Everything that happened made everything more complicated, but at the same time very fucking easy. I fell in love with Hixon slowly and then all that once (cliché, I know), but I identified with Greta from the beginning. I wanted together from T minus chapter 1, so that means something. Their romance was so palpable that I dreamt of having myself a Hix.

KA have lots of books. Books that I love and hold dear in my heart because I love them. I never had a favorite, because all of them were #1 in my heart. BUT. This book is basically the best in this whole year, maybe decade and of course, my #1 book of KA. Others can fight for #2, but this one is the one. I’m not bullshitting you, read this book. I loved it and I actually want it in my hands so Imma looking it up to have myself one. I’m trusting that if you read all my feeling, you outta read this book ASAP.

More convincing? This book has action, a lot of it. Hix is trying to catch a killer after a murder was committed in his county after more than 30 years. There’s also a problem of exes, mothers that are worth a shit and so much happiness all around by Mamie and Andy that makes you laugh alone. Plus the town is HILARIOUS, just read what an old lady says about Greta’s mother showing up in the salon to make a mess:
“That’s it,”Joyce stated. “She strolls in here and does any of that, it’s gonna be me goin’ to your momma’s house and dragging her out to take her to one of Pastor Keller’s revivals. He’ll dip her in the river and hold her down until she sees Jesus. And if she doesn’t, he’ll hold her down until she sees Jesus.”
You see? That is shit you cannot miss! Just go and read it, I gave you the links, so what you waiting for? Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!