Monday, May 8, 2017

[Review] The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, by: Michelle Hodkin

Mara Dyer #1

THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER

by: Michelle Hodkin
Release Date: September 27th, 2011
Read Date: May 8th, 2017
Format: Paperback
Pages: 452

Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.
She’s wrong.

MY RATE

My head is as confused as Mara, I swear. I cannot discern what's up from down and it's driving me nuts. Mara is not a reliable source of information and that's what I want more. I need to understand what is happening, but this book gave me nothing, just pieces.

After having my heart broke by other book, I need it a little romance in my life... so I remember that I had this awesome character called Noah Shaw that a lot of people told me he was bae. So, I picked up Mara's books and all this clusterfuck came to me. I have to admit that Noah Shaw is totally bae, but Mara Dyer is the craziest story teller. I'm not doubting that she might be telling the truth, but sometimes things don't add up. I think I'm losing my mind as much as she is losing hers.

The first you will notice about this book is she telling you that her name will be Mara Dyer, but is not her real name. She continues that her lawyer make her came up for a nom de plume. She doesn't say why she is writing this, but affirms that everything started in Rachel's birthday. From there the story starts and, thinking about it now, the story is kind of fucked up. Her friends and boyfriend die after a building destroyed itself above them, but only Mara survived. Then the most bizarre things start to happen. But is it all real or pure fiction?

Reality vs. Imagination apart. The romance of the book is really good. The family is very homey. But Mara is a well created character. I makes anyone doubt things that are truth and believe things that aren't truth. Noah is an interesting character too. Is like the complete opposite of Mara, if she's bad, he's good and, if she's crazy, he's sane. But these two complement each other or cancel each other out, whatever you want to see it.

This book has suspense, romance, fantasy vs reality and everything you want to scoop from a psychological thriller in the mix. I think anyone can enjoy the book, for real. But be sure to have the next one, because shit is hitting the fan in the end.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!